It seems like an insurmountable task, your child’s playroom. Every time you pass it, you may think a bomb went off, your anxiety rises and you sigh in defeat. Here are some quick tips that will help get back control!
- 80/20 Rule: The more your kids have, the less they play with, let’s be real. So, set the stage so your children will actually play with more. I’ve learned that there’s an 80/20 rule for kids’ toys: If they aren’t organized well, kids end up spending 80 percent of their time playing with 20 percent of their toys while the other 80 percent go unused.
- Keep it Simple: When it comes to toy room organization, simplicity rules. It’s calming and easy to maintain. If the toy room stresses you out, then it will stress the kids out so keep it simple and decluttered. Go through the toy room every change of season to get rid of old, broken items that they no longer play with. Getting in the habit of regularly decluttering will save you time, space and a lot of headaches
- Ditch the toy box: Sure, that toy box might sound like a good idea, but in reality, toy boxes are a guaranteed way for kids not to play with all their toys. Even worse, they’ll make a huge mess to play with one specific toy. Toy boxes are just a dumping ground, usually full of broken bits and lost pieces and the child will dump out the whole collection to find something,
- Labeling: Labeling storage containers is always a good idea, but what if your kids are too young to read? Just use what they can identify: Pictures. If you have really young children, use clip art to include a picture in addition to the word. You can print the labels on address label stickers (available at all office supply stores) or on plain paper that you stick to the container using clear packing tape. This is also an amazing learning opportunity.
- Clear Bins: Instead of the typical toy box, invest in some clear bins to sort toys. Sort toys into see-through bins and place on shelves that the child can reach. The see-through bins allow your children to find what they’re looking for, so the Legos, or the Barbies, or the plastic farm animals can come out without them rooting through everything else.